Cold Wx sleeping bag: where to buy, what brands? What temp?

DomB

Hey all! Given I don't have a place of my own in the Cats (about 2.5 hours from me) but I have a 3 season rooftop tent and a place to park up there, can you recommend cold weather sleeping bags (I am guessing 0F would be good(?) as I would be fine sleeping with layers on). I am 5'9. I am willing to spend a fair amount on this (don't know price ranges but would be ok going up - fine with $400-500; maybe more - Santa/wife's Christmas present to me).

The family won't be skiing with me this year, and worse case I have a separate way to keep my water from freezing via the awesome Norway Ski Club on 28. So I would be open skiing Saturdays, sleeping over on the CRV, and skiing Sundays fairly roughly. Presumably I would keep my boots in the club but welcome thoughts on how to keep them warm in a car.

Any thoughts welcome. Thanks.

A rooftop tent will probably sleep cold so I would look for a bag rated lower then that. I Would look for a roomier, cheaper option. Since you’re not carrying it in a backpack, weight shouldn’t really be a consideration.

I chuckled when I saw this thread. Also in keeping with my new ham-handed approach I shortened the thread title by about 100 characters. Supposed to be a 60 character limit but I guess it doesn't work! ?

I agree get a rectangle. You'll likely have critical items you want to keep warm. Ski boots, water, headlamp, it gets crowded in there.

Are you a cold person? How cold do you want to sleep?

Change into new dry underwear or longjohns before sleeping. You may not think your clothes are wet but they are. When I winter camp, I'd put on tomorrow new dry longjohns to sleep.

I'm biased towards down and go for the highest quality I can find. But this may be a good application for synthetic. @Brownski or anyone, opinion?

I'm biased towards down and go for the highest quality I can find. But this may be a good application for synthetic. @Brownski or anyone, opinion?
I’ve always favored synthetic based on price and not being able to keep my shit dry.

when we went winter camping we would carry two bags. put one sleeping bag inside the other. only way to survive the dacs forty years ago. anything you want to keep warm better be inside the sleeping bag. sounds rough. astonished the lengths you guys from the south go to for a day on the slopes.

Thanks guys! I got this (free returns for a year): https://www.rei.com/product/136215/rei-co-op-down-time-0-down-sleeping-bag
I would say I don't think many folks around Long Island would do this for skiing in the Catskills, but I like being outdoors, don't have to worry about taking care of my family or keeping them comfortable this season, like to try new things, and I am on the more extreme side when it comes to indoor spaces in the Covid context. Since I may not feel comfotable staying at the club or temporary lodging, this may work if I want to overnight. I may end up being very bored because I really don't get much time to just do runs by myself, and i am pretty social. I may also just enjoy it (that is the hope).
Some thread drift, but I would guess that life in the US goes back to something like normal by Q3 2021 (i.e. Q3 2021 will be way more like 2019 than 2020). That excepts international travel and less developed countries. Sadly my personal covid predictions have been in the ball park way more than not.
You guys rock.

when we went winter camping we would carry two bags. put one sleeping bag inside the other. only way to survive the dacs forty years ago. anything you want to keep warm better be inside the sleeping bag. sounds rough. astonished the lengths you guys from the south go to for a day on the slopes.
This is what I did when I was a young Dirtbag. I had a 15* bag and a thrashed older bag that I didn’t know the rating for but was probably around 20 or 30*. It worked great.

I use a 0* backpacking bag without much foot space myself but that’s cause I’m cheap and don’t want to buy another bag just for truck camping. I think if I were in the market now, I’d get something like this:
I throw one or two summer bags in there also, to use as a pillow or to drape over my head or add insulation to the ground pad. You can get really toasty warm in the back of a truck.

Last edited:
Maybe this one, even though there’s no hood
https://www.cabelas.com/shop/en/browning-side-by-side-0°f-double-sleeping-bag

Back