Camelback, PA 02/14/14

jamesdeluxe

After shoveling my sidewalk and driveway three different times from yesterday's the two-part storm, I took a run up to Camelback to check out the 16+ inches that fell there.

I like how they have the original logo on the side of the lodge.
Plattekill_008.jpg

Although people were initially bummed to see that two-thirds of the trails had been groomed, we quickly realized that a combination of wind and a bit of mixed precip during the night had stiffened the ungroomed powder in many places, so it was actually a good call on Camelback's part. In any case, no one was complaining with how the trails skied -- like velvet, with piles of ankle deep leftovers along the sides as well as a few untouched stretches.
Plattekill_002.jpg

Skiing for an entire day and not hitting bottom once doesn't happen very often in the mid-Atlantic region, so there was a really celebratory atmosphere there today. I spoke with a couple from Colorado on a chair who asked if conditions were always this nice in the Poconos, heh.
Plattekill_005.jpg

Great to see that pretty much the entire northeast got something from this storm. Ski areas must be delighted about this well-timed dump just before a holiday weekend.
Plattekill_006.jpg

Last edited:
Back