Caberfae Peaks. Cadillac, Mi. 12/2/23

MiSkier

It what has been a strange and mild fall the temp finally dropped cold enough to get the snow guns running just after Thanksgiving. My home hill Caberfae Peaks had power lines that were 30 years old going from the sub station to the ski area. Well the issue is Caberfae has added more capacity to their snow making system over the last 10 years or so and have been in contact with Consumers Energy about upgrading the lines, well only a few sections got done and Caberfae lost power 3 times in 5 days and each time it was when temps were in the teens. Social media put the word out along with news media and a couple of days later they started to relace 5 miles worth of lines. It was a great sight to see when pulling onto their property.
thumbnail_IMG_3917.jpg

Weather wise it was shaping up to be a great day. Mostly sunny and a high of 35 with very light winds. Even with the power struggles Caberfae managed to get a lot of quality snow down.
thumbnail_IMG_3897.jpg

thumbnail_IMG_3898.jpg

Lift lines were a little long at first, but after people got skiing things got spread out and the lines got much shorter. They had a 4 good ways down the hill and left the top of Canyon ungroomed which softened up nicely as the day went on.
thumbnail_IMG_3899.jpg

thumbnail_IMG_3901.jpg

No trip to Caberfae is complete without some of their crack fries and an Arlo Ultimate Bloody Mary.
thumbnail_72323423522__6B007FE2-19EA-43A9-8E5A-8F0722527A5A.fullsizerender.jpg
thumbnail_IMG_3902.jpg
For limited terrain and a fair amount of people the snow held up very good.
thumbnail_IMG_3905.jpg
thumbnail_IMG_3906.jpg
This is year 24 for skiing with my daughter and year 8 of making the 3.5hr drive to ski Caberfae Peaks, we have gotten to know some many of the employees who return each season and make you feel like you are part of a family. I guess this is one advantage of a small Michigan ski hill. It was great to get back out on my skis.
thumbnail_IMG_3914.jpg

thumbnail_IMG_3909.jpg

thumbnail_IMG_3912.jpg

Nice.
Looks like there’s natural snow laying around there too.
How much ❄️ ya figuring?

Nice.
Looks like there’s natural snow laying around there too.
How much ❄️ ya figuring?
They had maybe 6-8 inches. If it had been a month later that would have been great, but when trying to build a base it doesn’t really help much

Does Shaggy's ever do a demo day?

I've demo'd custom skis made by a ski nut who lives in Rhode Island at Wachusett. Very unusual design with the binding point that means a very long tip and very short tail. Total length of the skis I tried were over my head, about where my straight skis were. Skied great.

I've demo'd custom skis made by a ski nut who lives in Rhode Island at Wachusett. Very unusual design with the binding point that means a very long tip and very short tail. Total length of the skis I tried were over my head, about where my straight skis were. Skied great.
Yes they do. That is how I ended up with a pair, and my son in law got my daughter a pair for Christmas this, she got them early

yup,
3 day "family vacation" at Bohemia too

Excellent opening day report Ted!

Did chef James have the cafe open?

Wish my wife would buy me some new SHAGGY’s

Back