Boyne Mtn. Boyne Falls, Mi 1/12/23

MiSkier

It's not that often that I can get out and ski mid week, I got a chance this week and wanted to see the new D-8 high speed detachable lift. Just like everywhere east of the Mississippi River there has been a lack of snow and cold weather since Christmas. So I didn't set my hopes high. Well it was around 32 degrees mostly cloudy and no wind and the snow was a nice semi frim groomed snow and on the main hill there was good coverage.

IMG_1737.jpg

I started the day on what is the first 6 passenger high speed lift in America, I met up with a friend of mine Bruce who I had never skied with before and he used to work at Boyne and was happy to show me some stuff I had never seen or knew about at Boyne.

We started out with checking in with Victor at the halfway house. Which is a true ski bums warming hut with a balcony, bathrooms, grills, and a wood stove inside. Victor was doing a great job of keeping an eye on things and overlooking the run called Victor right off of the Halfway House.

IMG_1739.jpg

IMG_1740.jpg

IMG_1746.jpg

IMG_1738 (1).jpg

We made a number of runs off the 6 pack lift and the main hill before going over to the new D-8 chair

IMG_1753.jpg

This was my first time seeing an eight passenger lift in person and the bottom terminal is defiantly bigger than any terminal I have seen.

IMG_1741.jpg

The lift it's self is quiet and very smooth, also very comfortable. This side of the hill was a little thin on snow coverage and nothing on the woods with very little natural snowfall and warm weather and some rain in the past few weeks.

IMG_1757.jpg

With mid day crowds you had plenty of room to spread out on the lift if you wanted to.

IMG_1742.jpg

We made of number of runs off the D-8 lift and headed back to the main hill and hit up the Eagle's Nest for a beer with a great view. You can see the bar at the upper right of the pic below

IMG_1760.jpg

I just love the old school charm of the Eagle's nest and the view while having beer or a bite to eat.

IMG_1750.jpg

IMG_1751.jpg

IMG_1752.jpg

IMG_1759.JPG

Along with the new lift Boyne built a Sky Bridge which is something to see in person. While did not walk across it with ski boots on, next time I will leave extra time to go and out normal shoes on and ride the first chairlift in the US, which was sold to Boyne by Sun Valley and moved to Michigan and is still in use today.

IMG_1755.jpg

IMG_1743.jpg

IMG_1754.jpg

IMG_1761.jpg

While today was not a powder day or even the best snow day with the most terrain open, but what it was is a day skiing with good people, having some laughs and as always as we do in Michigan we make mountains out of molehills.

IMG_1748.jpg

IMG_1764.JPG

That looks like a very cool place. I like the Eagle's Nest.

What the average annual snowfall? What year was it built?

That looks like a very cool place. I like the Eagle's Nest.

What the average annual snowfall? What year was it built?
Boyne opened in 1949. They get an avg if 113” of snow a year. The Eagles Nest opened in 1970. They were also home to the first quad chair. There is lot of history there

:oops: Woah.

Thanks for the trip report and pics!

I stopped by Boyne Mountain during the summer a few years ago after visiting a cousin in Detroit. The Sky Bridge will definitely be part of the next visit, regardless of the time of year.

Went to Gatlinburg a couple weeks ago for a few days with my husband. We didn't want to deal with the crowds much but did some people watching walking a few blocks. Got a view of the Ski Bridge and chairlift. That chairlift was a used chair put up by Everett Kircher in the 1950s. It made money 365 days a year. That was the revenue engine that allowed Boyne Resorts to have the capital to expand ski operations in Michigan and elsewhere in the early years.

Gatlinburg chairlift - 1 (1).jpeg
Gatlinburg chairlift - 1.jpeg

Nice report Ted. Can’t believe it’s been five years since we’ve skied Boyne mtn!

Attachments

• 008C7532-C865-4EB1-9864-45D8A4B437C1.jpeg
    008C7532-C865-4EB1-9864-45D8A4B437C1.jpeg
    221.3 KB · Views: 74
Back