Blizzard Black Pearl 88

Andy_ROC

I'm trying to find a pair of used Blizzard Black Pearl 88 ~152/153 for my wife. Seems these things are in short supply on the used market. I only see one used pair out there now and it's a Play It Again sports for $560 (with shipping) which seems high for a pair of used skis that appear to be a few years old. On the chance that any of you know of where I can get a pair please let me know.
Thank you

good luck with that - if you do find a pair they'll probably be pretty beat up.

I could probably help you out with a pair of nordica wild belles if you're interested, I would need to check the length. not sure what year they are they are this graphic

I'm trying to find a pair of used Blizzard Black Pearl 88 ~152/153 for my wife. Seems these things are in short supply on the used market. I only see one used pair out there now and it's a Play It Again sports for $560 (with shipping) which seems high for a pair of used skis that appear to be a few years old. On the chance that any of you know of where I can get a pair please let me know.
Thank you
What model year are you looking for? The BP88 has changed in noticeable ways in the last five years. There are women who liked the 2017-19 version who don't like the current version as much. Might well be strong demand for the version that's not being made any more. It was pretty popular in the northeast.

The earliest versions of the Black Pearl weren't really that well suited to northeast hardpack and icy conditions. I bought the 2011 BP (in 2012, lightly used, bought from the original owner) and kept them as rock skis. Used them on a couple of northeast ski safaris.

Hey guys thanks for the responses. I'd be looking for the ~18-19 or newer black pearl 88, but still used just to keep pricing reasonable--- I'm not sure she would like these skis for sure so that's why I'm looking at used. I had no idea the Black Pearls are in such a hot demand. I certainly like my Brahma's and enjoy Bonafide's, so that's why I'm focusing on Blizzard but willing to expand options.

If I can't find something by next fall then I'm open for suggestions---
She's advanced beginner moving toward low intermediate- does blues but takes her time. Still cautious since recovering from ACL surgery but confidence builds each time out and she's working to faster. I've been leaning toward mid 80's-90 under foot because I think they take the crud better than narrower skis and I don't think they are harder to get on edge--- at least that's my experience.

Another one that seems to be available more is the Volkl Kenja but I don't know much about those and whether they are remotely comparable to the Black Pearl. And another is the Rossignol Experience 88 which also seem to have higher availability. As I said I'm open to ideas and have patience to wait till the fall.

Thanks!

PS --- so glad I discovered this site. People are nice and helpful.

Yea they are "the" women's ski according to my wife and her ski friends. She's not a gear head by any means and says she can't believe the difference in how they ski. Another popular one is the Nordica Santa Ana

If I can't find something by next fall then I'm open for suggestions---
She's advanced beginner moving toward low intermediate- does blues but takes her time. Still cautious since recovering from ACL surgery but confidence builds each time out and she's working to faster. I've been leaning toward mid 80's-90 under foot because I think they take the crud better than narrower skis and I don't think they are harder to get on edge--- at least that's my experience.

Another one that seems to be available more is the Volkl Kenja but I don't know much about those and whether they are remotely comparable to the Black Pearl. And another is the Rossignol Experience 88 which also seem to have higher availability. As I said I'm open to ideas and have patience to wait till the fall.
Ah, helps to know more. Any possibilities of sharing height/weight? I don't know if my experience as a petite woman is relevant or not but figure it might be given the length you are looking for. My skis range from 148 to 162cm, depending mostly on width and where I intend to use them.

When I was a confident intermediate and started demo'ing skis in the southeast about 15 years ago, I liked Rossi and K2. I had a hard time turning any Volkl. By the time Volkl came out with the Yumi, I'd become an advanced skier who didn't have an ACL (not a skiing injury). That's the only Volkl I've ever liked. I opted not to have ACLr surgery for assorted reason and have been a successful coper since 2013. While I can deal with Volkl skis now, there are many brands I much prefer. Fair to say that the Volkl Kenja and BP88 have very little in common. You won't find many women who like both.

My all-mountain skis were Rossi skis that were 75 underfoot for a while. Then I got the original Black Pearl, 88mm, for skiing out west. Now my skis for skiing in the east are the Head Absolut Joy, 78mm. I got new all-mountain skis that are 85mm and 10cm longer than the AJs for skiing big mountains out west.

I would consider the BP88 for the northeast but would be more inclined to stick to skis closer to 80 underfoot, including the BP82. I know cautious intermediates in the northeast who are very happy with the BP82.

Here are the skis I've demo'd in in northeast the last 4-5 years that were fun for me. The Atomic Cloud series is often mentioned for intermediates in the northeast. I'm not exactly a gear head, but I enjoy demo'ing. Can't describe why I like certain skis like a professional reviewer, but I can tell pretty quickly which skis are fun and which are too much work.

Rossi NOVA 8ca, 126-74-110, R 12m @156
Nordica Astral 78Ti, 114-78-99, R 14m @158
Atomic Vantage 85, 122.5-85-106.5 R 15m @157 (2018)
Nordica Santa Ana 88, 119-88-106, R 14m @158

I ended up with BP88 @145 at Taos a couple years ago. Was surprised how much fun they were being that short. It was a low snow season with no black terrain open. So I mostly skied them on groomers. When it snowed 9 inches in the middle of that trip, I changed to the BP98 @152. I was doing a Women's Ski Week (demo skis were free) and found the Taos instructors prefer shorter lengths since the emphasis is on skills related to skiing bumps smoothly.

Last edited:
Hey all thanks for your input. A used pair of 152 Black Pearl 88 w/bindings showed up on Gear Trade this morning--- they appear to be in excellent condition of recent vintage so I jumped on them. $398 w/shipping. Even if my wife ultimately decides she wants something different I can live with this price.

Thanks again for your help.

Back