Black(comb) Friday: 11/26/21

takeahike46er

What a great way to start a season! While I missed out on the free refills of opening day, sloppy seconds and sunshine is nothing to complain about!

IMG_8780.jpeg

Catskinner

I stayed on the dark side all day. Since freezing levels were approaching mid-mountain, I stuck to the Catskinner and Jersey Cream pods to take advantage of the highest elevations possible. Jersey Cream started off on standby as ski patrol bombed away at the alpine above, so I did a few laps on the Catskinner run. Even after the ropes dropped on the Jersey zone, patrol continued bombing away at Chainsaw Ridge, and I witnessed a pretty sizable slide on Saudan. Too bad I wasn't able to grab my phone in time to capture on video!

IMG_8783.jpeg

Saudan before slide

IMG_8802.jpeg

Saudan after slide

Some highlights of the day were the Jersey Cream Wall and The Spoon where I scored untracked, knee-deep snow. The top had a bit of slab, but after the roll over it was soft, wind-deposited snow. Even if it’s a short pitch, my early season legs were totally fine with it.

IMG_8795.jpeg

Jersey Cream

IMG_8790.jpeg

An ungroomed Cougar Milk

Despite the trail report showing no advanced terrain available, the Coyote Road traverse was open, and I had some great runs on Blowdown and The Bite. Some caution was needed to avoid open creeks and the crevices in the talus fields—even if the mid-mountain snowpack is currently sitting north of four feet. But these obstacles were avoidable and will soon be buried, and it was great to be skiing this terrain so early in the season.

IMG_8814.jpeg

Looking up at the closed Glacier chair with The Curl and Pipeline on the upper-right

IMG_8820.jpeg

The Bite

IMG_8836.jpeg

Blowdown

The alpine wasn’t open—not for lack of snow, but because ski patrol needs some time to get it prepared for the masses. Coverage is apparently great for this time of year, so word is it might start opening next weekend. However, even without the alpine, it was a great day. To be skiing this kind of terrain on opening day was a blessing!

IMG_8840.jpeg

Bark Sandwich

Last edited:
What a great way to start a season! While I missed out on the free refills of opening day, sloppy seconds and sunshine is nothing to complain about!

View attachment 11115
Catskinner

I stayed on the dark side all day. Since freezing levels were approaching mid-mountain, I stuck to the Catskinner and Jersey Cream pods to take advantage of the highest elevations possible. Jersey Cream started off on standby as ski patrol bombed away at the alpine above, so I did a few laps on the Catskinner run. Even after the ropes dropped on the Jersey zone, patrol continued bombing away at Chainsaw Ridge, and I witnessed a pretty sizable slide on Saudan. Too bad I wasn't able to grab my phone in time to capture on video!

View attachment 11119
Saudan before slide

View attachment 11117
Saudan after slide

Some highlights of the day were the Jersey Cream Wall and The Spoon where I scored untracked, knee-deep snow. The top had a bit of slab, but after the roll over it was soft, wind-deposited snow. Even if it’s a short pitch, my early season legs were totally fine with it.

View attachment 11120
Jersey Cream

View attachment 11122
An ungroomed Cougar Milk

Despite the trail report showing no advanced terrain available, the Coyote Road traverse was open, and I had some great runs on Blowdown and The Bite. Some caution was needed to avoid open creeks and the crevices in the talus fields—even if the mid-mountain snowpack is currently sitting north of four feet. But these obstacles were avoidable and will soon be buried, and it was great to be skiing this terrain so early in the season.

View attachment 11123
Looking up at the closed Glacier chair with The Curl and Pipeline on the upper-right

View attachment 11124
The Bite

View attachment 11125
Blowdown

The alpine wasn’t open—not for lack of snow, but because ski patrol needs some time to get it prepared for the masses. Coverage is apparently great for this time of year, so word is it might start opening next weekend. However, even without the alpine, it was a great day. To be skiing this kind of terrain on opening day was a blessing!

View attachment 11126
Bark Sandwich
Now this is how opening weekend should look

View attachment 11115
Catskinner

View attachment 11119
Saudan before slide

View attachment 11117
Saudan after slide

View attachment 11120
Jersey Cream

View attachment 11122
An ungroomed Cougar Milk

View attachment 11123

View attachment 11124
The Bite

View attachment 11125
Blowdown

View attachment 11126
Bark Sandwich
Wow simply spectacular! Thanks for sharing. Did a summer trip to Whistler a few years back and it was awesome. If Utah or CO don't get some snow soon I might have to plan a trip to Whistler instead :)

Back