Alta, UT 03/31/09

jamesdeluxe

I met Pat, Mira, and Sima for a go at Alta this morning. The website is now reporting 10 inches of new snow, but I’m not sure how much of it came today. I’d guess 3-4 inches. Collins didn’t open until 9:25 and we were on it a few minutes later. The first two hours or so were great; we scored a bunch of nice knee-deep untracked runs in Supreme Bowl and Catherine’s.
file.jpg

Sima

file.jpg

Me

But as the day wore on, the light got flatter, the winds picked up, and we had a tough time finding clean goods. Too bad, as I’m sure they were hiding somewhere. A few times, we’d see a nice shot from the lift, but ended up picking our way across the wrong traverse to find everything pretty well plundered. We’ve discussed extensively how PhD-level knowledge of stashes is key at Alta, and this was Exhibit A, because there weren’t that many people there today. Ballroom and Baldy never opened.

At 2, the group wanted to go back to Supreme, but I thought they were barking up the wrong lift, so with my dead legs, I headed off by myself to the Sunnyside lift for a last shot at low-angle pow, Vail Ridge. Nobody had been there so I lapped it four times:
file.jpg

Vail Ridge

Last edited:
Back