Alta, Snowbasin, Solitude, Snowbird, UT: Alta 2/5 - 2/11/2012

takeahike46er

Alta 2/5,8,9
Snowbasin 2/7
Solitude 2/10
Snowbird 2/11

By all accounts, this has been a challenging ski season not just for the northeast but for Utah as well. Base depths were significantly below normal, and high pressure has kept the mountains dry for large chunks at a time. Locals were downright apologetic for the conditions during my stay. While my week might have been below average for Utah standards, there was still good skiing to be had. Considering the season back east, no apologies were needed.

Ski_Utah%21_-_68.jpg

Sunshine Bowl at Solitude

I stayed in Sandy, a suburb south of Salt Lake City. Sandy isn’t a charming ski location, and aside from the Wasatch dominating the horizon it could be Anywhere, USA. That said, it offered the convenience of being close to the Cottonwoods at a reasonable price. When I wanted the ski town atmosphere I just drove over to Park City until I had my fill.

For the duration of my trip, I had no agenda other than to ski wherever the conditions might be best. I started at Alta since it had received a minor snowfall a few days before my arrival. I combed the mountain looking for leftovers with little success. At least the sun offset the chill in the air and made for nice photos.

Ski_Utah%21_-_09.jpg

Catherine's area at Alta

Ski_Utah%21_-_03.jpg

The top of Sugarloaf at Alta

Snowbasin hadn’t seen any fresh snow for a while so I decided to capitalize on its eastern exposure and ski there on the warmest and sunniest day. The groomers were exceptional, especially off of the Strawberry Gondola. Off-piste was highly variable but satisfying nonetheless.

Ski_Utah%21_-_30.jpg

View of Snowbasin from the John Paul Lodge

Ski_Utah%21_-_21.jpg

About to drop into the Middle Bowl Cirque at Snowbasin

Mid-week brought a few inches of snow to the Little Cottonwood, so I went back to Alta to find the best conditions of the trip. I found some boot deep along ridges in Wildcat and somewhere west of Extrovert.

Ski_Utah%21_-_36.jpg

Fresh snow in the Wildcat area of Alta

Ski_Utah%21_-_44.jpg

Fresh snow at Alta

While riding the Supreme lift, I spotted a friendly porcupine that was snacking on an apple. Skiers were gathering around it so I stopped on the way down to take pictures. Not captured was when the porcupine climbed up the skier’s leg and she had to forcefully shake it off!

Ski_Utah%21_-_48.jpg

Seeing most of the fresh snow was getting skied off at Alta, I went over to Solitude to find some leftovers. Honeycomb Canyon had some nice snow, but the best runs were in the largely untouched chutes past Corner Chute.

Ski_Utah%21_-_63.jpg

Honeycomb Canyon from the Summit of Solitude

Ski_Utah%21_-_67.jpg

Corner Chute on the far right.

I almost didn’t go to Snowbird because locals were saying it hadn’t been skiing as well as some of the other Cottonwood resorts. In the end, I’m glad that I went because there was some decent skiing. Chalky snow was plentiful in the Mineral Basin, off of Little Cloud, and in the Cirque.

Ski_Utah%21_-_92.jpg

The Cirque area at Snowbird

Ski_Utah%21_-_77.jpg

Below Road to Provo at Snowbird

Back