Aiguille du Midi, Vallée Blanche FR: Feb 2014

CMR

My family recently had a great time skiing in Chamonix over Presidents' week. The highlight was skiing the "Vallee Blanche" on my and my daughter's birthday. The Vallee Blanch is considered to be one life's "must- ski" trails. We awoke from our condo with a bluebird sky view of the Aiguille du Midi and its tram traveling 9000 vertical feet.

IMG_0302.jpg

A view from the bottom of the tram:

IMG_2882.jpg

Halfway up... look at the dots up top. Those are people traversing the "arete." It's the hike from the observation platform to the skiable terrain.

IMG_2886.jpg

A pic of our guide, Korra, with my son Will discussing our planned hike down the arete.

IMG_2897.jpg

A view from the top of Midi (Mont Blanc in the background):

IMG_0957.jpg

The arete was by far the most dangerous and scary part. Fortunately, by mid-February the safety rope lines had been placed. Despite their presence, the knowledge that a misstep could lead to a 6000 foot drop was always on my mind.

IMG_2908.jpg

IMG_2910.jpg

IMG_2911.jpg

At the end of the arete was a staging area to gear up for the 25 km run to the village of Chamonix:

IMG_2924.jpg

Heading down into the valley:

IMG_2937.jpg

An otherworldly environment:

IMG_2934.jpg

Lunch at the Requin Hut. A restaurant midway down the valley. Serviced only by helicopter. While we were there, a rescue helicopter buzzed us on the way up to Midi.

IMG_2949.jpg

Skiing into a river bed along the glacier:

IMG_2969.jpg

Traversing out of the valley:

IMG_2974.jpg

One thing they don't tell you about. There is a twenty minute climb, and I mean CLIMB, out of the valley if you want to ski all the way down to Chamonix. Happy faces after the climb:

IMG_2977.jpg

The Vallee Blanche was a memorable experience. A wonderful way to spend my 47th birthday with my family.

Back