Advertised, Reported and Measured Snowfall

Harvey

Administrator
Was updating some numbers in our directory and came across this:

Gore is now claiming 125" of annual snowfall, a much more realistic number than the 150" they have used for years. The new number is labeled a "20 year average".

Generally all ski areas claim a higher totals than they report. And those numbers are generally higher than NWS totals, which don't really account for higher ski area elevation. (McCauley is a notable exception to this as the town of Old Forge is close to the base elevation of the mountain, and the mountain is only 600 feet. NWS number for town is 177" and McCauley claims 180).

I decided to check out Whiteface to see if they have updated their numbers. In the recent past they have advertised 190 inches. The are no longer making any claim for snowfall on the site but are showing a ten year average of 138. Based on this page, the math looks wrong:

I don't see a claimed number on the Belleayre site, but in the past it was advertised as 140". Their ten year reported average comes out to 100.

Over the years most ski areas (not just NY) have clung to higher snowfall numbers from the past, but this is kind of cool to see.

I'll be working this summer as always to improve our accuracy in our directory listings.

Back