F Vail

Personally, my ski visits were up 5% and I skied 12.5% more miles last season vs. 2022-23. I counted 0 visits to an Epic mountain either year, however. Why does this matter? I had an Epic Pass in 2020-21 and 2021-22.

Personally, my ski visits were up 5% and I skied 12.5% more miles last season vs. 2022-23. I counted 0 visits to an Epic mountain either year, however. Why does this matter? I had an Epic Pass in 2020-21 and 2021-22.
Ya most likely had:
a) more fun
b) less lifelines
c) spent less on dang ancillary attachments with better value.
d) all of the above.

Vail Resorts definitely behaves more like a wall street corporation than a ski company. They seem to be milking the infrastructure of the resorts for all it's worth and not investing in them. That way, their quarterly reports look better. Only one new lift in a company that owns 42 ski resorts isn't going to cut it. Of course, there could be more announced in December, but with no permits filed, I doubt it. You can only ignore critical infrastructure for so long, and I fear it's going to come back to them. In my opinion, the best thing that could happen for the resorts is for some group of very wealthy investors to buy the company and take it private. Privately owned corporations still have a fiduciary obligation to benefit their investors, but they can focus a lot more on long term plans instead of the way it is now where they only care about their next quarterly report.

Ah, saw the statement about eliminating positions in a recent press release on a VR website. The local article provides more context for the jobs being lost, which presumably impacts people in Colorado the most. It stated that VR has "7,600 year-round employees and during fiscal year 2024, employed about 44,900 seasonal employees."

September 26, 2024 (USA)
"
After 10 years of rapid expansion, Vail Resorts (NYSE: MTN), the world's largest mountain resort operator, today announced a two-year plan to transform the company for future growth and global expansion.
. . .
A portion of the cost efficiencies are position eliminations, impacting less than 2 percent of the company's total workforce, including 14 percent of its corporate workforce and less than 1 percent of the company's operations workforce. Impacts in operations are focused on management structure and back-end support structure, with only 0.2 percent impact on frontline roles. Impacted employees will have the opportunity to apply for open roles across the company.
. . ."

Vail Resorts definitely behaves more like a wall street corporation than a ski company. They seem to be milking the infrastructure of the resorts for all it's worth and not investing in them. That way, their quarterly reports look better. Only one new lift in a company that owns 42 ski resorts isn't going to cut it. Of course, there could be more announced in December, but with no permits filed, I doubt it. You can only ignore critical infrastructure for so long, and I fear it's going to come back to them. In my opinion, the best thing that could happen for the resorts is for some group of very wealthy investors to buy the company and take it private. Privately owned corporations still have a fiduciary obligation to benefit their investors, but they can focus a lot more on long term plans instead of the way it is now where they only care about their next quarterly report.
I agree. Don't expect the experience at Vail resorts to be better. There will be cost cutting across the board. The stock is down 22% from a year ago. Investors are not happy about that and they're the ones they really want to have an "Epic" experience.If the investors are not happy management is out of a job.

A portion of the cost efficiencies are position eliminations, impacting less than 2 percent of the company's total workforce, including 14 percent of its corporate workforce and less than 1 percent of the company's operations workforce. Impacts in operations are focused on management structure and back-end support structure, with only 0.2 percent impact on frontline roles. Impacted employees will have the opportunity to apply for open roles across the company.
. . ."
Colorado was #2 for highest % of worker bees quitting their jobs in July.
NYS had the lowest %.

The beat goes on.
Came out with the quarterly numbers today.
Meanwhile:

They also approved an increase in the number of MTN shares available to repurchase by 1.1 million.
Wow, the language in that thing.

Experience Of A Lifetime, indeed.

They also approved an increase in the number of MTN shares available to repurchase by 1.1 million.
Anytime you see stock buybacks from a seasonal, capital intensive business like Vail, it is time to head for the hills. This leadership is the classic Wall St/VC/PE financial 'engineering' clownshow that can't figure out how to make the business more profitable so they resort to burning cash on buybacks.

I guess everything at all the Vail ski areas is up to snuff!! :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO:

Back