The overland craze is out of control

'59 Cadillac DeVille. When men were men. And trunks fit five bodies.
Fins for days!

In our 20s, one of my friends had a 1966 full size Dodge sedan.... slant 6, 3 on the tree. That bad boy got 5 people and full winter camping gear to Mount Washington one February.

'59 Cadillac DeVille. When men were men. And trunks fit five bodies.
In 1964 my Grandpa traded his white Olds Starfire (with red interior!) convertible for a Cadillac coup deville man that was the sign that he had arrived!

He was born in Italy and Italian was definitely his first language but he learned English pretty good.

He was very picky about his caddies, grandkids included.

"Don't put your feet on the gol dang ting in ere"

In 1964 my Grandpa traded his white Olds Starfire (with red interior!) convertible for a Cadillac coup deville man that was the sign that he had arrived!

He was born in Italy and Italian was definitely his first language but he learned English pretty good.

He was very picky about his caddies, grandkids included.

"Don't put your feet on the gol dang ting in ere"
I got a Caddie story. My grandfather owned a first Gen Cadillac Seville. While visiting them in florida in the mid seventy’s. The place was all NY Jews with caddies. We went out to a big meal. On the way home us kids were laughing and playing around. I got the hiccups and started to projectile vomit all of the brand new velour interior.
He freaked out and sold the car the next week

Cadillac coup deville

My father had this exact car, a monstrous 1976 Coupe DeVille. I remember it was the first car I'd ridden in with electric windows, cruise control, and climate-control where you set the desired temperature and the AC or heat would work automatically. My pre-teen friends called it "the pimpmobile" (driven a few years later by "Guido the killer pimp" in the infamous Risky Business car chase).
1726138182459.png

He then moved on to a 1979, also this same color. When we noticed that the newer version was significantly smaller, he said that Cadillac was trying to make their cars more fuel efficient. 😆
1726138569335.png

Last edited:
My dad had a 76 black fleetwood
I loved that car
So much fun to drive

Last edited:
My father had this exact car, a monstrous 1976 Coup DeVille. I remember it was the first car I'd ridden in with electric windows, cruise control, and climate-control where you set the desired temperature and the AC or heat would work automatically. My pre-teen friends called it "the pimpmobile" (driven a few years later by "Guido the killer pimp" in the infamous Risky Business car chase).
View attachment 25735

He then moved on to a 1979, also this same color. When we noticed that the newer version was significantly smaller, he said that Cadillac was trying to make their cars more fuel efficient. 😆
View attachment 25736

If you want to see the ultimate pimpmobile, when in Memphis, I highly recommend a visit to the Stax records museum, where, on display is Issac Hayes's gold plated Cadillac on a rotating platform. It's something else.

And, yeah, the smaller Caddy you mention isn't too bad, but, the ultimate insult to the brand that almost killed it was the Cadillac Cimarron, which was just a Chevy Cavalier rebodied and rebadged as a Caddy. Ultimate symbol of how far America had fallen. Always brought a tear to my eye.

Back