Whoa. Killington sold.

"Adventure lifestyle" seems to connote doing stuff all year round at yer mountain. Possibly buying real estate.
Doesn't require real estate. At least, not for a small mountain. Does require revenue from summer operations. Berkshire East is an example of a small independent mountain that has deliberately built up summer ops, but is very unlikely to get into real estate.

The "adventure" concept means more than hiking. People who enjoy mountain biking, high ropes, zip lines, or via ferrata are likely to be adventurous types.

Ski “resorts" suck.
Skiing doesn’t.
YMMV.
Killington is working to become a year-round destination resort that serves 1-week vacation folks and locals who drive. Be nice if they had a local bus option to get to K'ton.

As long as Pico isn't connected via ski trails, it's not a resort . . . it's a day ski area. Don't even need to know how close it is to K'ton.

I don't mountain bike anymore, but I am told they have become quite the place to do that in the last decade. I think it's because they've figured out how to design trails for the family/middle market.

One of the few mountains that sells a 365 day pass.

As long as Pico isn't connected via ski trails, it's not a resort . . . it's a day ski area. Don't even need to know how close it is to K'ton.
It will be interesting to see if the new owners build that connection. I'm sure there are a million arguments for and against

I think 7 Springs is a lot more than the skiing. I believe the hotels and indoor water park, tubing hill, mountain coaster, probably a zippy thing yada yada is all part of that package. I imagine that’s why it’s more expensive and might even be more profitable than Hunter.

It will be interesting to see if the new owners build that connection. I'm sure there are a million arguments for and against
I've always wanted to hear the "against". It only needs two lifts.

The stupid village concept will kill it for, maybe, ever. No way they're spending all that money so everyone can go park down at Pico.

I think 7 Springs is a lot more than the skiing. I believe the hotels and indoor water park, tubing hill, mountain coaster, probably a zippy thing yada yada is all part of that package. I imagine that’s why it’s more expensive and might even be more profitable than Hunter.
Jay has all that.

Jay has all that.
Difference is Jay is 3.5 hours from Boston with at least 6 maybe up to 10 other mountains that you would pass on your way, where as 7 Springs is 3.5 from DC with 1 other mountain you would pass on your way in. Jay will always be challenged be geography, the Jay Cloud and the terrain are the only thing that keeps it viable.

Back