Whoa. Killington sold.

Private equity outside of the ski industry can't seem to shake off bad investments made with free money during covid fast enough. The outcomes are very interesting, like founders buying back their companies for pennies on the dollar vs what they sold it for. Kona Bicycles just got purchased back from Kent Outdoors by its founders, Troy Lee just bought back Troy Lee Designs from 2Ride Group. Hell, Penn Entertainment took nearly a $850 million loss selling Barstool back to Dave Portnoy. Kinda love hearing these stories. Frankly I wouldn't be surprised if similar things begin happening more frequently with ski areas bought up by Vail and Powdr now that monies not free and folks have less spare cash for things like skiing. It's likely overly optimistic but maybe we will see more community ownership models spring up to rescue mountains getting sold off by the big guys.

The issue with ski resorts is that for the last 15 years, Vail Resorts and then Alterra have largely set the price of ski resort acquisitions. They were buying up literally every resort they could get their hands on. I wouldn't be surprised if they were sending unsolicited offers to the previous owners to see if they'd take it. The market was literally red hot.

If those companies stop buying, or worse yet, start selling, then the values of the resorts are going to drop. Anyone who took on big debt to acquire resorts may end up owing a lot more than they are worth. Powdr is still a major player, but they aren't as big as Vail or Alterra, so their sell-off will not likely have as big of an effect. Alterra has only been around for 6 years, but Vail Resorts has been around much longer, and still has yet to sell a resort.

It's not all bad news. The industry is still profitable, and resorts aren't taking on a lot of debt to make capital improvements like they did in the 90s and early 2000s. Most of what they are spending is what they are making. Vail Resorts isn't buying resorts as fast as they used to, but they're still profitable enough to keep buying back stock. As long as people keep buying passes and skiing, I think you'll see the same pattern continue, just without as many acquisitions.

As for Killington, I read somewhere that Alterra executives were spotted there earlier. I'm not sure if they ever made an offer, but I would guess they backed out due to the fact that Killington isn't a turnkey resort. Yes, Powdr has invested in it, but it needed a lot more than it got from them. Multiple lifts are past their useful lives and in need of overhaul or replacement. They still need to replace the Ramshead and Snowshed lodges as part of The Village. The snowmaking system is also severely outdated becoming less reliable. Those things have to be done to keep the resort in a good state of repair, but they are very expensive. Normally, doing so would increase the value of the resort, but given the uncertainty of whether the big conglomerates will keep buying makes it a more risky proposition.

I think Killington is in a much better place under the new ownership than they were under Powdr, or hypothetically speaking, Alterra, for the simple fact that being an eastern resort owned by a western based conglomerate, with a lot of western destination resorts, let's face it, sucks. Alterra in particular focuses very heavily on their top 5 resorts, those being Deer Valley, Mammoth, Palisades Tahoe, Steamboat, and Winter Park. They don't leave much for anyone else. This year, they only built one lift outside of the top 5, which is Heaven's Gate at Sugarbush. Last year, the only one was Powder Monkey at Snowshoe. Before that, they didn't build any new lifts outside of the top 5 since 2018. Vail resorts has been slightly better with 7 out of their 16 eastern resorts getting at least 1 new lift since 2021.

The resorts in the east that are investing the most are not owned by those companies. Boyne only has one western destination resort in Big Sky. They have other resorts in the west, but their customers are more local and they are more on the scale of an eastern resort. Big Sky got the most love and got it first, but there was a lot of budget left over to invest in Loon, Sunday River, and Sugarloaf, all 3 of which are now thriving. Then you have ORDA which has pumped millions upon millions into Belleayre, Gore, and Whiteface over the last decade.

Note that Powdr still has a minority stake in ownership, which could be anywhere from 1-49%. It was a private sale, so we don't know the full details, but I have two theories as to why. One is that they still see potential in that value to grow, so it was worth holding onto a stake in the resort. The other is that the new owners agreed to some form of owner financing, where they gradually buy out the previous owner over some number of years.

Vail hasn't sold any resorts but they may in the future. They are a publicly held company and their stock hasn't been doing so great lately. The stock is down 53% from it's high in 2021. The market doesn't like that and there will be pressure to get their margins up and their debt down, which could involve shedding some of their less profitable resorts. I get that their marketing plan is to get the locals from the smaller midwestern and eastern resorts to buy their pass and then take an expensive trip to their destination resorts out west. But I think their pass sales numbers have reached a peak and will grow very minimally going forward if at all. In fact, I believe that they actually declined last year if you just count the season passes and not the day passes like they did to make the numbers look better. I also think you will see less investment in infrastructure in the near future. The bean counters only care about the numbers. They don't care about the skiing.

Nice analysis, @snoloco . I'm gonna go out on a limb and speculate that POWDR's remaining stake is rather less than 49%. If the new owners want to make improvements, how will they split the costs with POWDR?

I was just about to post that. Everyone loved him and how he ran the Bush but he was NY$ not a VT local. I never bought into it, SBush feels like a country club (then again, it was mascara mountain before that). But everyone else seemed to love what him and the other owners did with the place.

The bigger question is are we about to see a corporate exodus from other areas and a portfolio shrinking? Maybe corps trying to get out at the peak of value?
I've been saying for some time that Vail is going to start throwing some stuff off the side, especially the smaller Eastern stuff they got in the Peak deal. Problem is, who's going to buy that stuff? Especially since money isn't free anymore?
I mean, if I was a billionaire hedgie, maybe the last thing I would invest in is an aging eastern ski hill and try to operate it in a future when it won't snow. Hard enough as it is when it snows. Maybe if I could turn it into a personal, private place for me and friends, and not deal with the headaches of, you know, people and their whiney needs. But, really, I'd probably buy a membership at Yellowstone and fly my private jet to Europe and South America when the snow flies.

In my opinion the stories of The American Skiing Company and Intrawest are the stories of corporate resort operators at large. It's always been a game of acquisition, public offerings, debt and or cost reductions and an eventual buyout, rinse and repeat. Less reliable winters are maybe the only significant change to the story as of late. How Vail Resorts, Alterra Mountain Company and Powdr Corporation handle that reality through this current economic environment will be telling as to where it all goes from here. I think the flux of it all is only now beginning to kick off.

In my opinion the stories of The American Skiing Company and Intrawest are the stories of corporate resort operators at large. It's always been a game of acquisition, public offerings, debt and or cost reductions and an eventual buyout, rinse and repeat. Less reliable winters are maybe the only significant change to the story as of late. How Vail Resorts, Alterra Mountain Company and Powdr Corporation handle that reality through this current economic environment will be telling as to where it all goes from here. I think the flux of it all is only now beginning to kick off.
In other words, another product of the financialization of America. The only way to make real money is usury or running a quasi pyramid scheme that gets supported by stock buybacks, in the end, which should be banned. I was reading a thing about Buffet yesterday, and even he is buying his own company, nobody else these days. Then they figure out how to stash money away in foreign, tax free accounts, close shop, rince and repeat. They don't lose.

The issue with ski resorts is that for the last 15 years, Vail Resorts and then Alterra have largely set the price of ski resort acquisitions...
If those companies stop buying, or worse yet, start selling, then the values of the resorts are going to drop.
....Then you have ORDA which has pumped millions upon millions into Belleayre, Gore, and Whiteface over the last decade.
Don’t forget Big Tupper & Togg.
Who wants to buy a bridge in Brooklyn?

Local Vermont article . . .

The links for the lead investors go to articles in the Mountain Times about them.

August 22, 2024
"
Phill Gross and Michael Ferri are the lead investors buying Killington Resort and Pico Mountain, according to the Aug. 22 announcement. An undisclosed number of additional minority investors will be joining them in the newly created Killington Independence Group, LLC.

The purchase and sale agreement was signed on Wednesday, Aug. 21, 2024, with the deal expected to be finalized by the end of September, pending standard closing conditions and necessary approvals.

So what does this mean for Killington Resort and its community?

“For starters, everything you love about Killington and Pico is staying the same,” stated Killington Resort on its Insider Blog post titled “A new era of independence begins at Killington Resort.”

“Killington season pass offerings will have no changes and we will remain on the Ikon Pass. Guests can expect daily operations to be business as usual, with a continued focus on offering unsurpassed year-round mountain adventure grounded in hosting the longest winter season in the East and hosting the Killington Cup, Nov. 30-Dec. 1, 2024. Killington Resort, the town of Killington and Great Gulf’s partnership will continue to build out the new mountain village. There will be no changes to the leadership, management or front-line teams, ensuring continuity and stability in our operations,” the blog post continued.

“Both of these investors have been in the community for decades,” said Mike Solimano, president and CEO of Killington Resort and Pico Mountain in resort video. “What does this mean for the community? I would say it’s all positive. The staff stays the same, the management team stays the same. Whether you’re a business owner in this community, a season pass holder, or an employee, we’re going to have the resources to continue to improve the resort… we’re going to continue to open early and have really long seasons. We’re looking to have a really smooth transition and the future is bright!” Salimano concluded.
. . . "

Back