I Asked ChatGPT to Rank Every Ski Area in NY

LOL I have to admit I hate the word "nestled." It may be my least favorite word.

Haha that is awesome. If you can figure out how to get Gore into position number 1, you'll know you have the right formula. 🤠

Potential variables:

Total snowfall
Days of rain
Days of tree skiing
Presence of deciduous trees
North facing trails with space in between
Chill patrol
Presence of telemarkers
Presence of all natural terrain
Tree skiing culture
NYSB mentions

IMO others that should show up high are McCauley, Snow Ridge, Oak, Titus, Greek

What am I missing?

Presence of deciduous trees
North facing trails with space in between

Im interested to see if I can teach GPT how to identify these 2 characteristics.

It's true, I pioneered the genre.

Plattekill is definitely nestled.

Last edited:
I asked it to rank them and tell me why it got that ranking. Whiteface started as #1, but in the final step of prompting the #1 spot went to Gore.

### 1. **Gore Mountain**
Gore Mountain is the largest ski resort in New York, with over 100 trails spread across four peaks. It offers a diverse range of terrain suitable for intermediate and advanced skiers. Recent improvements in snowmaking and lifts have further enhanced the skiing experience, making it a favorite for many.

### 2. **Whiteface Mountain Resort**
Whiteface is renowned for its Olympic history and significant vertical drop, the highest in the Eastern U.S. It offers challenging runs and extensive snowmaking coverage, appealing to advanced skiers while still catering to beginners with a variety of terrain.

### 3. **Hunter Mountain**
Hunter Mountain is a top choice for those near New York City due to its proximity and variety of trails. It offers a good mix of beginner, intermediate, and advanced runs, with a strong focus on snowmaking and facilities, making it ideal for all skill levels.

### 4. **Windham Mountain**
Windham Mountain is known for its family-friendly atmosphere and comprehensive facilities. It provides excellent snowmaking, a wide variety of trails, and a range of activities beyond skiing, making it perfect for families and groups.

### 5. **Belleayre Mountain**
Located in the Catskills, Belleayre offers a laid-back atmosphere with a focus on affordability and accessibility. It has made significant investments in snowmaking and lifts, enhancing the experience for beginners and intermediates.

### 6. **Holiday Valley**
Situated in Western New York, Holiday Valley is known for its extensive terrain and reliable snowfall due to lake-effect snow. The resort offers a well-rounded experience with additional activities like tubing and a mountain coaster, alongside a charming nearby town.

### 7. **Bristol Mountain**
Bristol Mountain boasts the highest vertical in the region and is known for its meticulous grooming and snowmaking. It provides an excellent skiing experience for all levels, particularly families and those in the Finger Lakes area.

### 8. **Greek Peak Mountain Resort**
Greek Peak is the largest resort in Central New York and offers a diverse range of trails, along with amenities like an indoor waterpark and adventure center. It caters to families and skiers of all levels with its extensive offerings.

### 9. **Plattekill Mountain**
Plattekill is a family-owned resort that provides a unique, rustic skiing experience with plenty of natural snow and uncrowded slopes. It's a favorite for those seeking a more laid-back, backcountry feel.

### 10. **Titus Mountain**
Titus Mountain offers a friendly atmosphere with short lift lines and a variety of terrain. It provides night skiing options and is a great choice for families and beginners looking for a relaxed experience.

### 11. **Kissing Bridge**
Located in Western New York, Kissing Bridge benefits from lake-effect snow, providing good conditions for intermediate skiers. It offers night skiing and a welcoming environment.

### 12. **Swain Resort**
One of the oldest ski areas in New York, Swain Resort offers a classic ski experience with a variety of trails suitable for families.

### 13. **Catamount Mountain Resort**
Straddling the border with Massachusetts, Catamount offers diverse terrain and scenic views, catering to both beginners and experienced skiers.

### 14. **Toggenburg Mountain**
Toggenburg is a smaller, family-friendly resort that offers an affordable skiing experience with a good mix of beginner and intermediate trails.

### 15. **McCauley Mountain**
Located in the Adirondacks, McCauley Mountain is known for its natural beauty and challenging terrain, providing a traditional skiing experience.

### 16. **Mount Peter**
Perfect for families and beginners, Mount Peter offers free beginner lessons on weekends and a friendly atmosphere just an hour from New York City.

### 17. **Thunder Ridge Ski Area**
Close to New York City, Thunder Ridge is ideal for day trips and offers a welcoming environment for families and new skiers.

### 18. **Oak Mountain**
Oak Mountain provides a charming skiing experience with affordable pricing and a focus on family-friendly activities.

### 19. **Royal Mountain**
Royal Mountain is a small, community-focused ski area that provides a welcoming environment with fun terrain for all levels.

### 20. **Woods Valley Ski Area**
Known for its laid-back atmosphere and night skiing, Woods Valley is a great spot for local families and beginners.

### 21. **Snow Ridge**
Situated on the Tug Hill Plateau, Snow Ridge benefits from heavy snowfall and offers a mix of intermediate and advanced trails, ideal for snow enthusiasts.

### 22. **Peek n Peak Resort**
Located near the Pennsylvania border, Peek n Peak offers a mix of beginner and intermediate trails, with a fun resort atmosphere and additional amenities like golf and spa services.

### 23. **Holimont Ski Club**
A private club during the week, Holimont opens to the public on weekends and offers well-groomed trails and a friendly, exclusive feel.

### 24. **Hickory Ski Center**
A smaller ski area with a focus on natural skiing and a retro feel, Hickory offers a unique experience for those looking to escape the crowds.

### 25. **Buffalo Ski Center**
An excellent option for families, Buffalo Ski Center offers a variety of trails and programs for young skiers, with a strong community atmosphere.

### 26. **Four Seasons Golf & Ski Center**
A small, community-oriented ski area with gentle slopes and tubing options, ideal for families with young children and beginners.

### 27. **Hunt Hollow Ski Club**
Offering private membership, Hunt Hollow is known for its peaceful skiing environment and well-maintained trails.
### 14 (Togg) & ### 26 (4 Seasons) are listed.
Togg ain’t even open & winter is the off season at 4 seasons.

Back