I Asked ChatGPT to Rank Every Ski Area in NY

I only went once but I remember the glades being really nice- low angle stuff to be sure but nice
Nice
I don't recall them having a tree run, or maybe it's Song that doesn't. Either way it's been a million years since I've skied either place. I'm locked in here at Greek. It's so convenient.

I was all over this for you, but GPT pooped out and starting having browsing issues and now I have reach a limiter (this one I have never seen) which says I need to wait 1 hr 20 minutes. We pay for their highest model too. I have hit the limiter many times but not recently and not for this long.

I basically got rid of most metrics, kept snow quality, variety. I introduced trail density which is just acres/trails. Also added annual snowfall. Right now gore is up to #5. The winning move will be this prompt which I just started when the issues got worse...

"I think we need to do some semantic analysis of internet discussion of each of these resorts. For example, lets search "whiteface tree skiing" and look at the sentiment of the discussions. Determine how much is positive, negative or neutral. Come up with a way to score that. Let's try the first one."

If I come back to that I will probably weight that metric and see how we do.

Haha that is awesome. If you can figure out how to get Gore into position number 1, you'll know you have the right formula. 🤠

Potential variables:

Total snowfall
Days of rain
Days of tree skiing
Presence of deciduous trees
North facing trails with space in between
Chill patrol
Presence of telemarkers
Presence of all natural terrain
Tree skiing culture
NYSB mentions

IMO others that should show up high are McCauley, Snow Ridge, Oak, Titus, Greek

What am I missing?

I just gave ChatGPT this:

Write a story about Plattekill, in the voice of Harvey from NYSkiBlog.

Here it is. What do you think, should I quit?

---

A Day at Plattekill: A Hidden Gem of the Catskills​

Nestled in the rugged beauty of the Catskills, Plattekill Ski Area is often overlooked by the masses in favor of its flashier neighbors. But for those in the know, Plattekill offers a skiing experience that’s as authentic as it gets—complete with friendly locals, well-groomed trails, and a charm that’s hard to resist.

Early Morning Serenity

As the sun peeked over the ridgeline, the crisp mountain air filled my lungs with a refreshing chill. Arriving at Plattekill early on a Saturday morning, the parking lot was just starting to fill up, a mix of dedicated locals and adventurous visitors. The familiar sound of skis clicking into bindings mingled with the soft crunch of snow underfoot. I took a moment to appreciate the serene beauty of the mountain, the soft golden light bathing the slopes.

The vibe at Plattekill is something special—there’s a sense of camaraderie among the skiers and snowboarders who flock here. It feels like a community, a place where you can strike up a conversation on the chairlift and share tips on the best runs. As I settled into the lift for my first ride of the day, I couldn’t help but feel the excitement building.

The Thrill of the Terrain

With a varied terrain that caters to all skill levels, Plattekill boasts an impressive collection of trails. My first run took me down the classic Bumpy, a steep and winding descent that challenges even the most experienced skiers. The snow had been freshly groomed, and the early morning sun glistened off the surface, inviting me to carve my way down. The rush of adrenaline as I navigated the bumps brought a smile to my face—it’s these little moments that remind you why you love skiing.

As the day progressed, I explored some of Plattekill’s hidden gems. The Maverick trail, a local favorite, offered a mix of thrilling pitches and smooth stretches that let you build up speed. I found myself in the zone, making turn after turn, feeling the mountain beneath my skis. The mountain seemed to pulse with energy, and I couldn’t help but get caught up in it.

A Lunch Break with a View

After a few hours of skiing, I decided to take a break and grab some lunch at the base lodge. The rustic charm of the lodge provided a cozy atmosphere, perfect for refueling. I opted for the homemade chili, a hearty choice that warmed me up inside. As I savored each bite, I looked out the large windows, watching skiers make their way down the slopes. The camaraderie among the patrons was palpable; laughter and stories filled the air, a testament to the community vibe that Plattekill fosters.

Chasing the Sun

With my energy restored, I headed back out for a few more runs. The sun had started its descent, casting long shadows across the slopes. I decided to take a run down The Cliff, a trail known for its stunning views of the surrounding mountains. As I reached the top, I paused to take it all in—the vibrant sunset painting the sky in shades of orange and pink was a sight to behold. It was moments like these that make skiing at Plattekill truly special.

The Final Run

As the day drew to a close, I took one last run down Lower Bear Claw, savoring every turn. The snow had softened, and I felt a sense of freedom as I glided down, the world around me fading away. It was a fitting end to a day filled with adventure and joy.

Reflections on Plattekill

As I packed up my gear and headed to the car, I couldn’t shake the feeling of gratitude for the day I had. Plattekill may not have the extensive marketing or glitzy attractions of some of the larger resorts, but what it lacks in size, it more than makes up for in spirit. It’s a place where skiing feels real, where you can escape the hustle and bustle of everyday life and find solace in the mountains.

Next time you’re looking for a ski adventure, consider Plattekill. It’s a hidden gem waiting to be discovered, and I guarantee you’ll leave with a smile on your face and a heart full of memories.

I just gave ChatGPT this:

Write a story about Plattekill, in the voice of Harvey from NYSkiBlog.

Here it is. What do you think, should I quit?
Sounds like it was written by someone who wants to be in marketing . . . or wants to write romance novels. 🙃

"Nestled in the rugged beauty of the Catskills..."
Fail.

Maybe I haven't read enough Harvey articles on NYSkiBlog, but I don't think you've ever started an article with wording like that before, lol. A first line from one of your blog posts is most likely going to include a personal pronoun. Your writing style is much more personal, and likely to include references to the people you skied with.

Back