Coronavirus and Skiing

I'll be the first to criticize ORDA for problems they create themselves, but I won't fault them for this. They had plenty of issues this season, but this was not one of them.
I agree with Face on this, but for different reasons. I'm surprised anyone had a full season, and many I know thought the same way. If I were a ski area owner, I would have been very, very nervous about over-committing resources only to be shut down.
Now ORDA is a bit different because, despite their best efforts sometimes, they are unable to go belly-up. However, they could look like fools with taxpayer money if they went all-out only to be shut down.

https://liftblog.com/2021/04/30/news-roundup-226/

According to this, ORDA had an excellent year. Skier visits up 14%, revenues up 10% and expenses down 8%. It doesn't surprise me. I believe most of the increase came from midweek, as Gore never filled up their parking lots like they would on the busiest days in a normal year. I also wonder how much is just spillover from Vermont, and how much will actually stick with ORDA. That being said, it's too bad that with such great numbers, they still came up short on the season and missed their target dates. You'd think they would've made some more snow.
Mount van Ho some time after Thanksgiving. December 1? But they stayed open as long as Whiteface did. I'm not complaining.

I'm surprised anyone had a full season, and many I know thought the same way. If I were a ski area owner, I would have been very, very nervous about over-committing resources only to be shut down.
Now ORDA is a bit different because, despite their best efforts sometimes, they are unable to go belly-up. However, they could look like fools with taxpayer money if they went all-out only to be shut down.
Weather can be unpredictable.
Snow was still sitting pretty till the weekend after St. Patty’s day.
March 2021 North Creek actual vs ave temps.
1620054860437.png

April 2021.
1620055150655.png

Snow went downhill fast without a lot of chances to make some more especially early April.
Helps to explain why Gore’s arena area and lower mountain trails got toasted.

Back